A combination of fresh Ontario vegetables and lamb is a winner, in this fast, delicious and colourful skillet supper. Serve on hot buttered noodles, rice or couscous.
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) lean boneless Ontario Lamb (preferably loin), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) minced Ontario Shallots (or 1 small Ontario Onion, minced)
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced Ontario Mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried thyme and rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each dry Ontario White Wine and chicken broth (or all broth)
- 2 large Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice
- Quarter cucumber lengthwise; slice crosswise and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the flour, salt and pepper; add lamb and toss to coat. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown lamb 3 to 4 minutes per side, in batches if necessary. Transfer to bowl.
- Add shallots and mushrooms; cook 3 minutes. Add reserved cucumber, garlic, thyme and rosemary; cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle in remaining flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine and broth; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat to low. Return lamb and any juices to pan. Stir in tomatoes and lemon juice and heat through.
Recipe and photography courtesy of Foodland Ontario
- Calories: 308
- Sodium: 275 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 27 g