Slow-Cooker Lamb Tagine
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Slow Cooker time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 8 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
Traditionally served with couscous but creamy mashed potatoes would also be delicious.
- 750 g Ontario Lamb Shoulder, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 1 can (540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried apricots, halved
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground coriander
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each paprika and salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each cayenne pepper and ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 Ontario Carrots, chopped
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced beef broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked couscous
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Coriander Leaves
- Place lamb, chickpeas and apricots in 6 quart (6 L) slow-cooker.
- In small bowl, combine ground coriander, cumin, paprika, salt, cayenne, cinnamon and black pepper; set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and onion; cook for 5 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and spice mixture, stir about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- In small bowl, whisk together broth and tomato paste; stir into vegetables. Bring to simmer. Pour into slow-cooker, stirring to combine. Cover, cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until lamb is tender. Serve over couscous; top with coriander.
Recipe and photography courtesy of Foodland Ontario
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 400
- Sodium: 580 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 54 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 24 g