A simple weeknight dinner served on pita with cucumber mint salad.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) cubed Ontario lamb
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 4 Greek-style pitas
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin slices
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped mint
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl stir together, 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, yogurt, lemon juice, oregano, garlic and ¾ tsp (4 mL) salt and ½ tsp (2 mL) pepper.
- In a large freezer bag combine lamb and half the yogurt mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and up to 24 hours. Cover remaining yogurt mixture and set aside in the fridge.
- Preheat a lightly oiled BBQ to medium-high heat. Pat lamb dry and thread onto skewers. Brush with 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the skewers in a single layer and grill for 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- During the last 2 minutes, toast the Greek-style pitas, if desired. Meanwhile, toss the cucumber, mint, red onion and ½ tsp (2 mL) salt in a bowl.
- To serve, divide pitas between plates. Top with cucumber salad, lamb kebabs and drizzle with remaining yogurt sauce. Serve immediately.
Cook’s Note: For indoor cooking, sear kebabs in batches in a large skillet. Transfer seared skewers to an oven preheated to 350˚F; cook for 12-15 minutes until medium or cooked to desired doneness.
Recipe courtesy of Meat and Poultry Ontario
- Calories: 625
- Sodium: 654 mg
- Fat: 37 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Cholesterol: 110 mg