Lamb Dumplings in Lamb and Enoki Broth
From the 2018 Student Chef Competition hosted by Ontario Sheep Farmers and Mushrooms Canada. Recipe by Durham College Chef David Hawey, Patrick Eckert, Kacey Payne, and Sharon Nanninga.
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 3 g salt
- 300 ml water
- Extra all-purpose flour dusting
- 400 g cremini mushrooms
- 15 ml oil
- 142 g Napa cabbage, grated
- 1.3 g salt
- 400 g ground Ontario lamb
- 7.5 g ginger, grated
- 2 sprigs green onions, finely sliced
- 55 g cilantro, chopped
- 30 ml soy sauce
- 15 ml rice wine vinegar
- 2.5 g cumin
- 10 ml lemongrass, minced
- 15 ml toasted sesame oil
- 1.5 L brown broth
- 230 g enoki mushrooms
- Slaw Garnish
- Edamame bean
- Napa cabbage
- Bok choy
- Red pepper
- Place ⅔ of your flour in a bowl. Add in your salt; mix with whisk.
- Gradually add in your water mixing by hand. When it comes together start to knead.
- Knead the last 3rd of the flour into dough. Knead till smooth (approx. 10 mins.).
- Place dough back in bowl, saran wrap the top and rest for 1 hour
- Flatten dough and put through a pasta roller. Cut out circles and fill with lamb filling. Freeze extra. Steam off the amount you need.
- Chop mushrooms, fry in oil until almost dry. Set in fridge to chill.
- In a medium bowl, add cabbage and salt; set aside 10 min.
- Dry and drain cabbage. In a large bowl add meat and cabbage, mix until just combined.
- Add ginger, green onion, cilantro, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, cumin, lemongrass, and cooled mushrooms, fold together.
- Fill dumpling wrappers. Seal in half moon shape with water. Then pleat 4 or 5 times.
- Line bottom of a bamboo steamer with parchment paper cut into a circle.
- Over a large pot of boiling water place steamer, steam dumplings, 15 per level, for 9 mins. lightly pan fry bottom of the dumplings in sesame oil.
- Use a clear brown stock, bring to a simmer add enoki mushrooms to simmer till cooked.
- Serve with an Asian-inspired vegetable slaw.