A stunning dish for entertaining, this Wellington has a golden crispy crust wrapped around a flavourful and moist Ontario lamb tenderloin. Beautifully presented, each guest will have their very own to devour.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario lamb tenderloin, cut to make 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon zest
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 lb (500 g) puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coarse salt
- In a large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium high heat. Sear two pieces of tenderloin just to brown on all sides, about 2 minutes (sear for an extra minute if you want your lamb more well done). Repeat with remaining oil and tenderloins. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together parsley, garlic, lemon zest, breadcrumbs and anchovies. Rub mustard over cooled tenderloins. Roll tenderloin in breadcrumb mixture, pressing to coat all over. Use all breadcrumb mixture.
- Roll out puff pastry to make two 6 x 16 inch (16 x 40 cm) rectangles. Cut each rectangle into four 6 x 4 inch rectangles (16 x 10 cm). Put tenderloin on top of a pastry rectangle and place another piece of pastry over top. Secure edges with the tines of a fork and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry and lamb to make four individual Wellingtons. Make 3 vent holes on top of the pastry with tip of sharp knife in each piece. Add water to lightly beaten egg to create egg wash. Brush pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in the centre of a 425 F (220 C) oven until pastry is golden and lamb is medium rare, about 15 to 17 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: The recipe can be prepared up to point of baking, covered and kept in the refrigerator for up to one day or frozen. If frozen, thaw in refrigerator overnight before brushing with egg and baking.
Recipe courtesy of Meat and Poultry Ontario
- Calories: 871.1
- Sodium: 2288.3 mg
- Fat: 56.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 54 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 36.6
- Cholesterol: 133.8 mg